After years of research, fine-tuning, and scientific study, I've finally developed a foolproof test to help you understand, once and for all, if you need an upgrade when it comes to the interior design of your space.
Here's what you should do:
- Leave your home for awhile
- Go eat donuts or grilled cheese sandwiches (OPTIONAL)
- Come back
- Walk through the front door and look around
- See how you feel
DO YOU FEEL LIKE THIS?
If not, NEWSFLASH: you need to make a change.
It's really that simple. And yep: admitting you have a problem is the first step.
SO, GREAT. I NEED TO MAKE SOME DESIGN CHANGES. NOW WHAT?
Whether you have a crapload of design changes to make, or just a few, here's what you should do: one small thing.
Ride this wave.
Use this momentum.
Grab the bull by the horns...or the old Ikea sofa that you keep meaning to replace and just never get around to it.
Within the next 24 hours, make one small design change around your space that you've been meaning to make. I know you've got something on tap, but just in case you don't, here are a few ideas:
- Order a new throw pillow or two for your sofa
- Organize a drawer
- Add a small bowl to the top of the console in your entryway so there's a neat spot for your keys
- Hang a piece of art
- Tack up the wires that are exploding behind the back of your desk
- Add a tray to your bedside table
- Style your bookshelf
- Put a throw or a rug on the back of your couch
Don't overthink it. Just. Do. One. Design-y. Thing.
We'll deal with the rest of it later.